Chocolate Almond Pancakes & Waffles
To make the batter
- Mix all dry ingredients together thoroughly in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs, melted butter, softened cream cheese, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix well, preferably with an electric mixer, which will help incorporate more air bubbles. The batter will have a thick consistency (far thicker than a conventional pancake batter). Don't be alarmed and don't add any extra liquid!
To make the pancakes
- Place a cast-iron or non-stick frying pan over low heat (the trick to making perfect low-carb pancakes is to cook them slowly over low heat, unlike flour pancakes). Add a small amount of coconut oil or butter for each batch of pancakes.
- Drop 2 tablespoons of almond mixture in the pan and spread out using the back of a spoon (aim for 3-inch round pancakes). Cook for 2 - 3 minutes until set; you can drop a few blueberries into the uncooked side of the pancake at this point, before flipping. Flip the pancake and continue to cook for 1 - 2 minutes until fully cooked, puffed up, and golden-brown.
- Top with Greek yogurt or whipped cream, and fresh berries. Enjoy the pancakes immediately while still warm, served alongside crispy bacon.
For an extra indulgent treat, top with Sola® quick-and-easy chocolate sauce
To make waffles
- Set your waffle machine on the lowest heat setting and brush liberally with melted butter. Place ½-cup batter in the center of the waffle iron and close the lid (it will spread out as it cooks). Cook for 1½ to 2 minutes until golden-brown and fully cooked through.
- To serve, brush with extra melted butter, place on a serving platter, and top with fresh berries and whipped cream.
*Total net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and Sola® sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
Makes: 4 servings (8 pancakes or 4 waffles)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1¼ cups (120 g) finely ground almond flour
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ½ cup (95 g) Sola® Sweetener
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 free-range eggs
- 4 ounces (110 g) full-fat cream cheese, softened
- ¼ stick (30 g) unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60 ml) whole milk
Optional Garnish: salted butter, Greek yogurt, whipped cream, fresh berries, bacon, quick-and-easy chocolate sauce
- Calories (kcal) 483.73
- Calories from Fat (kcal) 350.01
- Calories from Sat Fat (g) 114
- Fat (g) 38.99
- Saturated Fat (g) 12.67
- Protein (g) 17.41
- Carbohydrates (g) 38.1
- Dietary Fiber (g) 5.43
- Soluble Fiber (g) 0.02
- Total Sugars (g) 3.38
- Sola® Sweetener (g) 23.75
- *Net carbs (g) 8.9