Blood Orange & Wholegrain Mustard-Glazed Holiday Ham
For best results cook the ham the day before serving.
- Place the ham in a large pot. Fill the pot with enough water to cover the ham by 2 inches. Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a rolling simmer and cook the ham for approximately 20 minutes per pound of meat (a 10-pound leg of ham takes approximately 3½ hours).
- When the cooking time is complete, remove the ham from the stock and place on a clean serving dish (retain the stock to make a delicious soup or gravy) and allow to cool for at least 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- When you are ready to glaze the ham, preheat the over to 400F. Place the zest and juice of 4 oranges ad the remaining ingredients into a saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring well. Reduce the heat to a rolling simmer and cook for 5 minutes until syrupy.
- Place the cold ham on a wire rack over a baking pan covered with foil (this makes it easier for cleanup). Using a sharp knife remove the skin and score the remaining fat in a crisscross pattern. Brush ¼ of the glaze and place into the over for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and repeat the process in 15 minute intervals until the ham is fully glazed, sticky and caramelized.
- To serve, place the ham on a platter garnished with seasonal fruits and fresh herbs - voila, a show-stopping centerpiece to your holiday meal!
*Total net carbs assist you in tracking carbohydrates that impact blood sugars. Dietary fiber and Sola sweetener should be subtracted from total carbohydrates since they minimally impact blood sugar.
Makes: 30 servings
Prep time: 45 minutes plus chillingCooking time: 5 hours
- 10-pound half-leg ham on the bone
- Water to cover the meat
- 1 cup (190 g) Sola® Sweetener
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 bunch celery, roughly chopped
- 3 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 bulb garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
- 2 cups (380 g) Sola® Sweetener
- 4 blood oranges (zest and juice) or substitute
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Calories (kcal) 225.71
- Calories from Fat (kcal) 66.25
- Calories from Saturated Fat (kcal) 22.16
- Fat (g) 7.36
- Saturated Fat (g) 2.46
- Protein (g) 32.21
- Carbohydrates (g) 15.19
- Dietary Fiber (g) 0.46
- Soluble Fiber (g) 0.01
- Total Sugars (g) 1.87
- Sola® Sweetener (g) 12.66
- *Net carbs (g) 2.06